Hot cross buns are a traditional Easter treat that has been enjoyed for centuries. These spiced buns are marked with a cross on the top and are typically made with raisins or currants. They are a symbol of the holiday, and many people look forward to enjoying them each year.
While they are often purchased from a bakery, making them at home is a fun and rewarding activity. An air fryer is a convenient tool that can be used to make hot cross buns in a flash. With its quick and even cooking, it can produce perfectly golden, soft, and delicious hot cross buns that are sure to impress your friends and family. Keep reading to see our perfect air fryer hot cross bun recipe.
Ingredients for the buns:
- ½ cup of raisins
- ¾ tbsp of instant dry yeast
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- 3 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp of kosher salt
- ¼ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of ground clove
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- ¾ cup of warm milk
- 1 cup of hot water
Ingredients for the glaze:
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of milk
- 1 tsp of lemon or orange juice
- Grease a small baking pan that fits inside your air fryer.
- Soak the raisins in hot water for 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, mix ¼ cup of warm milk with the instant yeast and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Let the mixture rest for 10 minutes until it becomes foamy and doubles in size.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix the remaining milk and sugar, butter, and salt until smooth.
- Beat 2 of the eggs and add them to the butter mixture. Pour in the yeast mixture, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- Switch to a dough hook on your mixer and pour the flour into the egg mixture one cup at a time. Knead on low speed until all the flour is incorporated and the dough becomes slightly sticky and smooth.
- Dry the plumped raisins with a paper towel, and mix into the dough. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Allow to rise for 45-60 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, slice the dough in half. Split the halves and form 12 even balls from the dough. Cover the 12 dough balls with a damp cloth on a board or pan and let rise again for 30-40 minutes.
- Now, prepare the glaze by combining the powdered sugar, milk, and lemon/orange juice. This will form a thick icing that you can drizzle over the hot cross buns once they’ve finished baking and cooling.
- Take 6 rolls and place them in the greased baking pan. Set your air fryer to 160℃ and cook the rolls for 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the remaining egg with a teaspoon of water. After 4-5 minutes, remove the basket from the fryer and brush the tops of the buns with the wash.
- Return to the air fryer and cook for another 3-5 minutes, depending on your fryer and pan size. If the centre of the buns is still doughy, return to the fryer for an additional 2-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove from the fryer to cool. Once cooled, drizzle in the glaze and enjoy!